As summer continues, one big worry for dog owners is poisonous plants. As many of our furry friends are curious, it's quite possible that they end up in plants sniffing around. So, as pet owners, we need to be aware of what plants are safe and which ones are dangerous.

A few of the most common culprits you may have around your home include:

 Tulips – the bulb portions contain toxins that can cause severe gastrointestinal irritation.

 Azalea/Rhododendron – contain grayantoxins that can lead to vomiting, drooling, weakness and, in severe cases, coma and possible death from cardiovascular collapse.

 Amaryllis – contains toxins that can cause gastrointestinal distress, anorexia and tremors.

 Chrysanthemum – the blooms also can cause gastrointestinal distress and drooling. If any part of the plant is eaten, it can cause depression and loss of coordination.

 The  ASPCA has a 24-hour emergency poison hotline you can call at 1-888-426-4435..  Their website also provides a much more comprehensive list of plants along with possible health issues associated with contact and ingestion. While this is certainly helpful, it isn’t all-inclusive. If you’re concerned, it’s important to see your vet. Each animal is different, so keep that in mind if something happens to your pet.

 Have you ever had an issue with your dog eating a suspicious plant? Any tips for our readers?